Who doesn’t love fresh pasta? mastering pasta with disability support.
Who does not love fresh pasta?
At Fairway Aged Care Hostel, a Roads to Independence (RTI) group from Marriott Support Services volunteer and as part of building capacity, they have learnt the art of making pasta from scratch, using a machine. The aspiring cooks share want to share with you how with a little effort, a few ingredients and a pasta machine there is a delicious reward to enjoy.
First mix the flour, eggs and salt. Knead the dough with the heel of your hand, pushing down and forward and occasionally turning the dough 45°. Cut the dough into quarters and proceed using one piece at a time.
Set the pasta machine ready and then follow these steps.
1. Keep the rollers dusted with flour throughout to stop the pasta sticking.
2. Fold the pasta each time; feeding it through the roller 5 or 6 times – reducing the thickness on the 6th time, ideally to 1.5mm thick.
3. Use baking paper to stop the pasta from sticking together.
4. Feed the pasta through the fettuccini cutter.
5. Make sure you have a pot of boiling water on the stove – add a pinch of salt.
6. Separate the fettuccini by placing the pasta over a bowl.
7. Cook the pasta in batches in the boiling water.
8. Add a drizzle of oil after the pasta is cooked to keep from sticking.
Load the pasta with a tasty sauce top with cheese and you are in for a delicious meal.
You don’t have a machine? No problem, here is a machine free method http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/29968/homemade-pasta-without-a-pasta-machine.aspx
Check out more at https://www.marriott.org.au/building-independence/