Building Independence / Community Hub / Families/Carers / NDIS
What makes a great art program co-ordinator?
Marriott Community has a vibrant art program, as evidenced by the amazing works currently on display as part of our ‘Stuck on You’ art show.
So what makes a great art program co-ordinator?
– Recognising each individual’s capability and working with them to build their skills and experience.
– Encouraging and inspiring people to explore new ideas and harness their own creativity.
– The ability to source a wide range of art materials on a budget, including recyclables, second-hand items and donations.
– Willingness to try new approaches and mix-up traditional art mediums. One persons discarded egg cartons could be another’s masterpiece!
– Being open to inspiration, whatever may trigger it – be it from, books, nature, or someone else’s hard rubbish.
It sounds like a pretty unlikely combination – but luckily, we found it in Lisa, our art program co-ordinator.
We thank Lisa for her hours of behind the scenes work and how she connects with our budding artists to bring out their best. Not only is she talented, but she is happy to share her talent with others.
But what do the people in the art program say about her?
• “Lisa is patient and helpful” – Angus
• “Lisa is like a skilled surgeon that is she knows when to push (encourage), helps you get the effect you want with your art, and knows when to back off (let creativity run wild)” – Neil
• “Lisa is kind” – Marc
• “Lisa is great at art” – Samraing
• “She has good ideas” – Andrew
• “Lisa helps me” – Jacqui
Lisa’s commitment to creating a fun and inclusive art program is clear. For example, certain projects, such as sewing, involve machines that some participants are unable to use. In this case, Lisa will include the participant by having them push the foot pedal while pointing toward the person operating the machine.
Stuck on You Art Show is open to the public on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th of June, 2pm-5pm at 100 Wheatley Road, McKinnon. Come and meet Lisa and see our art room.
Call Julia on 9557 6909 for more information about the Art Program, or better still, check out the ‘Stuck on You’ Art Show,