The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a new way of providing support for people with a disability, their families and carers.
Funding is provided to an individual based on the supports they require to be included in their NDIS plan, so getting the best possible plan is very important.
The NDIS is an insurance scheme, which takes a lifetime approach, investing in people with a disability from an early stage to improve their outcomes later in life, and to fund a range of disability support services.
The NDIS has no impact on the Disability Support Pension or Carers Allowance.
To be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme, you must:
An NDIS plan includes funding for the supports you need to live well, supports are based on individual needs, and can include a range of services, including:
• daily personal activities
• transport to enable participation in community, social, economic and daily life activities
• workplace help to allow a participant to successfully get or keep employment in the open or supported labour market
• therapeutic supports including behaviour support
• help with household tasks to allow the participant to maintain their home environment
• help to a participant by skilled personnel in aids or equipment assessment, set up and training
• home modification design and construction
• mobility equipment, and
• vehicle modifications.
For more information on NDIS plans and funding, visit our FAQs page.
Our NDIS Service Development team supports you with your first NDIS plan:
• To understand the process and necessary terms;
• To do thorough preparation;
• We can support you during your NDIS meeting; and
• We offer support co-ordination, if it is included in your plan.
What people say?
Barbara, a parent said, ‘Sarah was a huge help in putting what we thought we needed for Lucy into clear goals so it was really organised for the planner.’
Narelle, a carer ‘I couldn’t have done it without Erica’s help, it was a stressful experience made much less so with her help.’
So far we have supported 135 families with approved plans.
Our NDIS Transition team is here to help call Michelle on 03 9276 4300
The ways NDIS can support families and carers
As carers, you can be supported in your caring role through supports in the participants’ NDIS plan, for example:
• Funding for episodes when extra supports are needed (e.g mental health).
• So the carer can have time away – physical, emotional breather
• Family support and counselling
• To increase the individual’s independence
• So the participant can participate in social and community activities without carers.
• For family caring, such as personal care and domestic assistance related to the person’s disability.
• Assessments to recommend capacity building and technological assistance supports to help enable the person and free up the carer.
For more information, contact our NDIS team on 03 9276 4300.
Keep up-to-date on current news, research and events!
Are you looking for something to do during the Week of 23rd April? Why not join us to explore the city or perhaps a trip to the zoo or one of Melbourne’s fabulous museums or art galleries. Save the dates – Tuesday 23rd, Wednesday 24th and Friday 26th April. Full details will be available on […]
Volunteering can change your life Enquire Now