”Stuck on You” Art Show wowed at the launch
We were wowed by the array of art work, colour and skill at the launch of the Stuck on You Art Show last night with over 70 people including artists and their families and friends, McKinnon Road shop owners and local residents.
The Chairperson of Marriott Support Services , Virginia Rogers spoke and here are some of her words.
At Marriott Support Services we have a long history in the local area of providing quality opportunities for people with intellectual disability, including:
• Marriott House, now our Community hub – provides community based supports in recreation, life skills, music, and sport and as you see here tonight, a vibrant art program.
• Marriott Industries and Enviro Management Services based in Cheltenham provides supported employment for 120 people.
We value our partnerships that enable us to do more, including a significant partnership with Glen Eira City Council at the Glen Eira Sport and Aquatic Centre (GESAC), that provides a contemporary and inclusive model for sport and recreation centres for which we are very proud.
We value our local businesses and a number of you are here tonight. This project brings the local businesses into focus using art and reflects the value we place in you. At Marriott we are very strong on building community inclusion and you, our local businesses a key to working alongside us in that. So we say thank you.
‘Stuck on you’ reflects of our connection with the community. It’s a collaboration between artists from Marriott Community and Glen Eira Artists’ Society and our local businesses.
We thank Glen Eira City Council for their support to make it happen and thank you to the artists for sharing your creative gifts.
Check out Stuck on You in the following ways:
- Reproductions of the artwork are in the windows of 20 McKinnon Road shops between Wheatley and Jasper Roads until June 20th.
- Vote for your favourite of the 20 McKinnon shop artworks at Mr Burch Cafe, McKinnon Road.
- Next openings of the exhibition at Marriott Community Hub;
- Wednesday 13th June 5pm-8pm including free portraiture from 6.30pm.
- Saturday and Sunday 16th and 17th June 2pm-5pm.