Building Independence / Community Hub / Employment / NDIS / Social Inclusion
Employment opens doors to participate in life
Employment brings so many benefits and yet there are too few people with employment supports in their NDIS plan with only 6 per cent of 15 to 24 year-olds and 2 per cent of people 25 and over with employment supports.
Customised Employment is an individual approach matching the skills, interests and the support needs of the individual to opportunities to meet a business need or create a new market.
Customised employment has a two-stage process
- Discovery phase – all the people supporting the individual work to identify their interests, capability, talents and any gaps in their work readiness or skill set. Barriers to employment can include independent travel skills, time management and workplace communication.
- Job Creation – there are two options, using the information gathered from the discovery.
• Self-employment in a micro-business that is a small scale filling of a niche using the interests and capabilities of the individual to operate a micro business.
• Job carving – through negotiation a specific job is designed to suit the individual and benefit the organisation or business. It matches business needs with individual strengths.
If you think this may be for you, here is what you can do.
• Be informed – http://www.ndia.com.au, attend an event.
• Talk to your Support Co-ordinator, if you have one.
• If this seems like a good fit for you, document as much detail you can for your next NDIS planning meeting, using the two-stage process above.
Employment opens doors, here are five
o keeps us busy, challenges us and allows us to develop ourselves;
o gives us a sense of pride, identity and personal achievement;
o enables us to socialise, build contacts and find support;
o provides us with money to support ourselves and explore our interests;
o contributes to our positive wellbeing.
At Marriott, we believe if you can work, you should work and we know it can be challenging to find employment.
Under NDIS, we are increasing pathways to support people who want to find and keep a job in open employment through supported employment and customised employment.
We are about building a more inclusive society where people with disability can work, volunteer, study and enjoy their community. We know the NDIS like the back of our hand, for more information www.marriott.org.au/employment
For more information
Customised employment [email protected]
Supported Employment [email protected]