Building Independence / Community Hub / Community Partners / Families/Carers / Health and wellbeing / NDIS / Social Inclusion / Volunteering
What is one of the most popular NDIS supports?
Not surprising, since the early days of the NDIS people consistently say that participating in the community is a high priority. People with disability often experience barriers to connect in their community and find their social connections are predominantly with family.
Here are 3 benefits of participating in our community.
- It can lead to improved wellbeing to both physical and mental health, employment, education, income, confidence and life satisfaction.
- For people with disability it can lesson longer-term care and support costs.
- It can give a positive outlook and bring meaningful connections with people.
Marriott Support Services has always focused on community participation for people living with disability:
1) The Roads to Independence program offers:
• Weekly use of Mentone Life Saving Club for cooking. This also enables the experience of working in a small kiosk in the summer months.
• Volunteering at Fairway Aged Care Facility, both in the garden and the kitchen.
• Participating in group training at a local gym.
• Southland Shopping Centre promotions to connect with the public.
2) Our partnership with GESAC that promotes the inclusive nature of the sports facility and hosting of joint events such as International Day for People with Disability.
3) The Volunteer program increases community participation by bringing people from the community to volunteer with Marriott and supporting people with disability to volunteer in their community.
Are you working and thinking about life after work?
Community participation might be just the thing you are looking for. Marriott’s transition to retirement project worked with 19 supported employees to support them to connect with their community.
Russell, who works at Enviro Management Services (EMS) and lives independently, felt bored at times and was supported to join the Mordialloc walkers and the local Men’s Shed. Today Russell is becoming well known in his local community. He enjoys the social connection and being known more when he is out and about.
If you want to do something outside of your routine, the NDIS can help you get into the community and so can Marriott through its innovative, tailored programs.
Get NDIS support to engage in your community; 4 actions to get started
- Bring it up with your family and carers, your Support Co-ordinator or Local Area Co-ordinator and at your next NDIS planning meeting and review.
- Have ideas about what interests you, there are so many ways to be part of your community.
- Be open to try different ways to find what type of community participation suits you.
Community participation can open doors to fun and joy, more skills, pursuing interests and diverse and meaningful connections. Don’t forget the positive impact it can have on your health and wellbeing.
- Go on – GiVE IT A GO!! There is something for everyone to be part of – you just need Marriott Support Services to help you find it.