We celebrate our success and look to the opportunities ahead.
On Thursday 112 people attended our Annual General Meeting to celebrate our achievements and to understand the opportunities ahead, here are some highlights.
Nick Staikos, MP for Bentleigh, who has been involved in the community since being elected to Glen Eira Council at the age of 19, reflected on how well we are connected to our community, highlighting our new partnership with Mentone Life-Saving Club and our continuing ones with Fairway Aged Care facility and Glen Eira Sport and Aquatic Centre.
Our Chairperson, Virginia Rogers spoke of four things we should be thankful for:
1. Our small financial surplus that gives a buffer against uncertainty as the NDIS rolls out in April 2018.
2. The leadership of our CEO, Dan and staff who deliver quality supports and are making significant changes to prepare for the NDIS.
3. The sustainability of our business supporting over 350 people with disability.
4. Our 80 volunteers.
Tom, from EMS spoke about how he is reaching his goals and the way Marriott supports him to develop skills and increase his confidence, by giving him a chance to work in open employment and how getting his licence through the Drive Train program brought greater independence.
Sarah, our NDIS Engagement Officer, spoke about the challenges and opportunities with the NDIS and urged people and carers to use the resources and supports available to get organised.
The giving of Awards and Recognition of Service certificates are a very popular part of the evening and this year Awards for great effort and contribution were given to:
• Clelia (Claire)- Supported Employee
• Ani - Participant
• Dianne - Volunteer
• Cheryl and Elly - Staff
Here are some comments from those who were there.
• Love seeing people get their awards and recognition
• I went to hear Tom speak
• Great to hear about the NDIS
• Love the way supported employees support each other, e.g. by going to hear Tom speak
• I enjoyed hearing about Marriott
• people are proud to receive awards and recognition
• I like catching up with people
• I like the Awards
• It (Marriott) feels like a community
• It was great getting my certificate
• A fantastic night
The night oozed with a sense of community, of people supporting each other to build a better society, a more inclusive place for everyone. We look forward to working with you to further that in 2018.